Tuesday, January 16, 2018

FORGOTTEN MOVIES: THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR

Things are going to be wonky on here because we forgot the stuff to hook up my computer and this is Phil's.

Anyway we watched this on TCM and I have to say it was not as good as I remembered. Harrison leaves me cold. Why waste your whole life waiting to be reunited with him?.

A very depressing movie about a widow( who didn't even much love her husband) who takes up residence in the house of a dead sea captain and becomes infatuated with him (or his ghost) to the point, she has no life. This must have been a cheap movie to film because she rarely leaves the room with his telescope poised toward the sea.

Their reunion after death did not make things right.

6 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree it was a disappointment, though I don't remember the details. We used to watch the TV version, which was fun and had the silliness of Charles Nelson Reilly to make it fun. The movie was humorless.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't overly fond of this film, either...

Todd Mason said...

I always found it easy to stop watching, when I've tried it over the decades. I don't think I've ever finished it. I do remember enjoying the tv series a bit when young, though haven't seen it since the early '70s and it didn't make as strong an impression on me as even the likes of NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR or some of the other later fantasy comedies. I completely missed THE GIRL WITH SOMETHING EXTRA till recent repeats on GetTV...the secondary leads, particularly Zohra Lampert, really made that otherwise undistinguished show, which didn't get much of a run.

Was very happy to enjoy BLITHE SPIRIT again the other week on TCM. Have a few other fantasy films, such as A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, and vintage horror, such as BLACK SABBATH, awaiting my review on the DVR, from recent recording from TCM FXM and MGM HD. Verizon has just seen fit to dump Sony Movie Channel and its Spanish-language correspondent, just to show them and us who's boss.

Yvette said...

I must disagree. I love this movie. But then I also loved the TV show based on the movie. AND I read the book and loved that too. :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

But she squanders her life, pining after a man she can't have. Maybe you have to be a Rex Harrison fan to see it as worth it.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR had a great theme song, it still sounds great even now.